Skip to main content
- Teach them to save money by having them contribute towards purchasing an item.
- Encourage them to earn money such as having a paper route, doing odd-jobs for relatives or family, or working summer jobs.
- When you are grocery shopping, have them think about comparing the costs of items.
- Read or talk with them about money-topics such as credit or savings.
- To encourage banking, open custodial accounts, then have them make deposits and balance their checkbooks.
- Teach them about the misuse of credit cards by having them understand about interest rates and fees.
- Encourage them to earn money through after-school summer jobs.
- Talk with them about investment concepts such as saving for a car or college.
- Encourage them to participate in a Financial Education Course though a nonprofit organization or bank to learn personal finance concepts such as budgeting and credit.
- Describe how credit card debts, opened while in college, may limit financial options after college.
- Have them complete a personal finance budget, identify future financial goals, and determine how they will manage their monthly living expenses.